Developing your long-term career in the law
Partners and Solicitors
The future is always uncertain and making the right career decision can be risky and difficult.
We’ll be at your side as you build your career. Just as an actor or writer has an agent, so we’ll bring you the best opportunities and help you make the right decisions about them.
Legal careers are more complicated and varied these days. There are many more paths than partnership. Maybe you want to move in-house or return to private practice. Or you might want to explore new types of legal services businesses. Or, maybe, you actually need to stay where you are for a while before thinking about moving. Whatever your situation, we’ll help you find the direction that’s right for you.
So get in touch to start the conversation. We’ll take the time to get to know you, so we can understand what you’re good at, what you’re like and what you want.
Law Firm Management
If you’re in law firm management, we often know about openings and opportunities before they come on the open market. So if you’re a BD, Marketing, IT or HR professional, get in touch so we can help you make the next step in your career.
With unrivalled knowledge of the market and excellent personal connections with decision makers, we can introduce you to the very best partnership opportunities in the UK. Many are not even advertised and are exclusive to Motus.
1. A senior regional Partner of a major law firm felt its strategy was at odds with the way the market was developing. We introduced him to an innovative and dynamic new firm where he has been tasked with developing a new service delivery model.
2. A senior equity Partner who had not moved for 27 years and felt stuck in a firm that was not prioritising his sector. Motus introduced him to a new firm that valued his expertise and was culturally a much better place for him and his clients.
3. A mid-equity Partner at a major national law firm was blocked from progressing within the partnership. We unlocked a number of different options at firms who could see this person playing a key role in their Litigation practice. Our candidate is now a senior equity partner in a highly profitable firm, with wider responsibilities and a much stronger voice.
4. A junior Equity Partner wanted to move In-House to be more involved in the decision-making process. After much discussion, Motus found a place for him in a firm where the client/lawyer interface was far more advisory in nature, and he now spearheads the firm’s delivery of commercial advice to clients.
5. An Equity Partner who needed to relocate to Devon had explored all the publicised options and his own contacts. We discussed his practice and personal interests more closely, and introduced him to a firm where his practice has flourished and where he has been able to work far more flexibly.
We help newly-qualifieds, associates, senior associates and legal directors build their careers over time.
1. A newly-qualified Solicitor was not getting the client contact and mix of work they had expected, but was concerned that a move so soon would damage their CV and future progression. Motus was able to alleviate their concerns and find them a place in a different firm where they have since been promoted.
2. An Associate Solicitor contacted Motus for a ‘career review’. They wanted to understand their position within the legal market, the opportunities that were out there, and how their salary compared to others. Following a full assessment, we advised them to stay put for the time being. Two years later we found just the right role for them.
3. A Senior Associate wanted advice on how to approach a competitor law firm that they wanted to work for, but where there was a known personal contact and a high degree of sensitivity. Motus assured the individual that a discreet and confidential conversation could be had, including arranging a meeting at a neutral off-site location. The candidate joined the firm not long afterwards.
4. A Legal Director at an international law firm was frustrated by the lack of opportunity to progress at his firm, despite consistently being told he was ‘on-track’ for partnership. Motus introduced him to a firm that valued his legal expertise and BD acumen and offered him an 18-month lead-in to partnership. The candidate is now an Equity Partner with his own team and a market-leading presence.
In-House, with greater contact with business, can be a rewarding part of your career.
1. A senior Legal Counsel career was blocked until the General Counsel left or retired. The candidate contacted Motus and we introduced her to the EMEA GC of a global consumer business. She was offered a role that further challenged and expanded her in-house experience, increased her financial package to six figures and offered her a future career path.
2. A Senior Associate specialising in Commercial Litigation at a large City firm didn’t think it was possible to relocate out of London to a non-contentious in-house role. Motus introduced her to a global financial services company where she joined the in-house team as Legal Counsel. Her role focused on commercial transactions and the business was happy to train and support her.
3. An in-house Legal Counsel wanted more autonomy and to work more closely with senior management. Motus helped him move to a FinTech start-up as their first in-house Counsel. The candidate now advises and reports directly to the CEO.